Sunday, October 15, 2023

Lawyer fined nearly $20,000 for obnoxious conduct in violation of rules of procedure during deposition

 I often complain that judges do not do enough to discourage misconduct during discovery, so today I am happy to report that at least one judge is doing her part.  

As reported in the ABA Journal (here), last month federal judge U.S. District Judge Stephanie L. Haines of the Western District of Pennsylvania sanctioned a lawyer imposed a sanction of nearly $20,000 for his conduct during four depositions last year.  The only question I have is why did it take a year for the judge to impose the sanctions, but I guess I'll let that one go for now.  According to the story, the lawyer was fired from his firm soon after the fourth deposition.

You can read the opinion here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment