Saturday, September 19, 2020

Puerto Rico Supreme Court invalidates statute of limitations for disciplinary proceedings

Back in 2016, the Puerto Rico legislature adopted by statute a statute of limitations for disciplinary proceedings.  See here.  I felt so strongly against this that I actually wrote a letter to the Governor urging him not to sign the bill into law.  He didn't listen.  Then, after the bill became law, I published a short article arguing many reasons why the bill should have been rejected.  See here.  But nothing happened.  Then I published a law review article explaining everything I thought was wrong with the bill.  See here.  But nothing happened.  Until last month.

On August 11, the Puerto Rico Supreme Court issued an opinion in a case called In Re Pellot Córdova, in which it invalided the statute of limitations for violating the principle of separation of powers.

So I guess it took four years, but finally someone got it right in the end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment