Sunday, January 5, 2020

Top ten list

This is the time of the year when many blogs and websites start issuing their "top ten lists" (mostly of important events of the past year), and here is the first one I have seen.  I expect there will be more.

You can find the The Louisiana Legal Ethics Blog's "Top Ten Legal Ethics Developments" of 2019 here.  It includes the following, in no particular order:

1. ABA Issues New Formal Opinion on Changing Law Firms

2. Ethics Opinion Prohibits Lawyers from Incentivizing Favorable Online Reviews

3. ABA Anti-Discrimination Rule Continues to Meet Lukewarm Reception Around the Country

4. Lawyer Challenges to Mandatory Bar Association Membership

5. ABA Formal Opinion Prohibits Judges from Declining to Perform Same Sex Marriages

6. LSBA Rejects Rule Amendment to Clarify Prosecutors’ Brady Disclosure Obligations

7. Thirty-Eighth State Adopts Duty of Technology Competence

I agree that these are all important developments; and I would add that ones I would put at numbers 1 and 2 if I were to make a list of my own would be the increasing number of attacks on mandatory bar membership and the slow and still controversial reception by state authorities to Model Rule 8.4(g).

For Top Ten Lists from previous years go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment