Monday, August 15, 2016

Legal Zoom founder comments on the report of the ABA Commission on the Future of Legal Services -- UPDATED

A few days ago I posted my review of the final report of the ABA Commission on the Future of the Legal Services.  In case you missed it, you can read it here.  As I stated then, I am not impressed.  And I am pretty sure that all the comments I have seen (some of which are linked to in my post) generally agree the report is weak and disappointing.

Today, I saw an interview by the host of the blog Law Sites with one of the founders of Legal Zoom in which both of them criticize the report for the same reasons I did.  You can read the interview here.

UPDATE (8-23-16):   The same website that published the interview with Legal Zoom's founder, now has a column by the co-chairs of the Commission in which they respond to the criticism.  You can read it here.  They reply to some direct criticism of the report and defend its conclusions and recommendations, but it is not clear to me they explain why the language of the recommendations is tentative.  Why, instead of recommending states to "consider" something, not recommend that they "adopt" a particular view or approach.  I don't have a problem with the recommendations; I guess I just expected that they would be more definitive or concrete. 

UPDATE (8-24-16):  Another member of the Commission has posted a reply to some of the criticism here.

No comments:

Post a Comment