Tuesday, October 6, 2015

On teaching how to represent a client with diminished capacity

The blog IP Ethics & Insights has a monthly feature on "what they don't teach you in law school" which is actually making me feel pretty good about my own teaching because the last two topics it has covered (here and here) are things I actually do teach in my class.  The first one was how to handle client's money, which I will be covering in class today, as a matter of fact.

The second one is how to represent a client with diminished capacity, which I cover as part of the discussion on the basic principles of an attorney-client relationship.  IP Ethics & Insights covers the basics here.  To discuss this material I assign a case called In the Matter of MR, 638 A.2d 1274 (N.J. 1994), which provides a good discussion of the basic principles and a helpful analysis on how to evaluate the proper role of the lawyer and the allocation of the decision making authority within the attorney client relationship. 

If you want more information about what I cover in my class (and how I do it), feel free to visit my course website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment