Monday, June 17, 2013

California follows New York in proposing mandatory pro bono for law students as pre-requisite for admission to the bar but not for attorneys

A task force of the State Bar of California has recommended that new attorneys be required to complete at 50 hours of pro bono service before they are admitted to practice. (Story in the National Law Journal, via Legal Ethics Forum).  This idea follows similar proposals in New York and New Jersey about which I have written several  times.  I can't say I am surprised by the proposal since it probably means well, but I am still not convinced it is a good idea.  Although some liked the idea in NY, most of the commentary I saw was negative.  For my previous comments (and lots of links) on this debate go here, here, here, here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment